Code of Conduct for Medical Ethics – Clinical Trials, Nomenclatures, and Abbreviations
- Clinical Trials on Animal and Human Research Participants
- Chemical, Biological, and Gene Nomenclatures and Abbreviations
Clinical Trials on Animal and Human Research Participants:
The Indian Journal of Data Mining (IJDM) firmly believes in transparency in clinical research. To publish with us, authors must demonstrate their commitment to ethical standards and uphold the dignity and rights of individual participants, associated individuals and communities, human and non-human life and the environment.
To conduct animal and human experiments, it is essential to comply fully with local, national, and ethical regulations and adhere to necessary licensing arrangements. Authors must register their clinical trials in an open-access database and include the registration numbers at the end of the abstract, which reports their results1,2.
For precise and effective research reporting, we recommend adherence to industry best standards, including but not limited to the following guidelines3:
It’s essential to leave out unnecessary personal details when sharing information. If there’s any concern about maintaining anonymity, obtaining informed consent from those involved is best. Authors should confirm if identifying information is removed, and editors should acknowledge that this doesn’t alter the scientific significance4.
Chemical, Biological, and Gene Nomenclatures and Abbreviations:
Whenever possible, the Indian Journal of Data Mining (IJDM) advises the authors to name chemical compounds and biomolecules using systematic nomenclature, preferably following IUPAC guidelines. Additionally, authors should utilise standard chemical and biological abbreviations. It is essential to clearly define any unconventional or specialist abbreviations at their first occurrence in the text.
When referring to genes, it is essential to use the approved nomenclature for gene symbols and use the abbreviated symbol instead of the full name in italics. For instance, use “Ttn” instead of “titin”. Journal recommending following nomenclature databases, but not limited to:
- Gene Names and Symbols: Entrez Gene
- Human Gene Symbols: HGNC
- Mouse Gene Symbols: The Jackson Laboratory
- WAME – Study Design and Ethics for Animal
- COPE- Ethical Standards in Animal Research
- Word Medical Association (WMA) – Ethical Principles for Medical Research Involving Human Subjects
- International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) – Protection of Research Participants
- Adheres to the Editorial and Publishing Policies of Lattice Science and Publication (LSP)